grayscale seco swirl

License Finder

Use the CareerOneStop License Finder tool to research your state’s rules and regulations, and identify the requirements, contact information and next steps for your current or future occupation.

Each state has different rules and regulations about licensure and certifications. Licenses are knowledge and skill credentials legally required for many occupations. As a military spouse, you are 10 times more likely to move across state lines in a given year, so it is important you understand occupational licensure issues.

Occupational licenses carry state-specific conditions and processes. You may have a lengthy delay in finding a new job when you move. Because of the delay and expense involved in re-licensure, you may be unable to work in your chosen profession.

Use the License Finder tool to find contact information for your state licensing agency or search by occupation, license name, licensing agency and location.

Because of the delays and expense involved in re-licensure, many states have implemented or are in the process of implementing license portability measures for military spouses that may include temporary licenses, expedited licenses or obtainable endorsement. Visit the Military Spouse Interstate License Recognition Options for up-to-date legislation and licensure information for your specific state.

If you move due to a PCS, your service branch can now help reimburse licensure and certification costs up to $1,000. Each service has its own procedures for reimbursement, so be sure you know what your branch requires.

For additional information regarding license portability, call Military OneSource at 800-342-9647 and speak with a SECO career coach. You can also use the Live Chat feature on the MySECO website. 

Like this article? Share it!
User Ratings
Log in to rate.