grayscale seco swirl

Transferring Licenses or Degrees Earned Outside the United States

Learn the process for getting your non-U.S. license, qualifications or education evaluated and verified.

Foreign-educated spouses moving to the United States must have their non-U.S. qualifications evaluated and verified to continue their education or to find employment in their field. "Transferring Licenses or Degrees Earned Outside the United States" offers information on the non-U.S. qualification evaluation process.

The three types of organizations, or competent authorities, that typically offer guidance on how to have your qualifications evaluated based on your situation are:

  • Your admitting school or higher education institution
  • Your hiring employer
  • Your state or territorial licensing board

These organizations often suggest organizations to evaluate your non-U.S. qualifications. 

Credential evaluations vary in cost depending on complexity and available documentation. Your prospective employer might cover the cost of these evaluations, but typically, you must pay for them out of pocket. Work with the appropriate competent authority to determine a reputable organization to assist you with the evaluation process. Start the process early to alleviate delays in starting your employment or schooling.

If you need additional information, visit your installation family center or call a career coach at 800-342-9647.

Like this article? Share it!
User Ratings
Log in to rate.