grayscale seco swirl

Highly Portable Degrees for Military Spouses

Getting a degree in a highly portable career field may help you find new employment during relocations. Learn more about five highly portable degrees and some corresponding career fields to pursue.

Choosing a postsecondary degree program can be just as important as choosing a postsecondary school. You'll need to consider major factors, such as length of the program, cost of the program and portability of the degree. Choosing to pursue a degree that leads to a highly portable occupational field may help you maintain your career progression throughout your frequent relocations and PCS moves. Be sure to call Military OneSource at 800-342-9647 to speak with a SECO career coach and explore the highly portable degree options for military spouses, including the following:

Bachelor's Degree in Education

  • Could lead to the following professions: Teacher, Tutor, Trainer
  • State license required for employment
  • Internship or residency training required

Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science/IT

  • Could lead to the following professions: Computer Support Specialist, Computer Programmer, IT Manager
  • Advancement often requires any or all of the following: additional education, licensing or certification and on-the-job training

Associate Degree in Nursing

  • Could lead to the following professions: Licensed Practical Nurse — LPN, Registered Nurse — RN
  • State license required for employment
  • Long-term on-the-job training required

Associate Degree in Business Administration

  • Could lead to the following professions: Retail Salesperson, Retail Store Manager
  • No license required, but many retail salespersons work towards obtaining a bachelor's degree to progress into store management or regional management positions
  • Short-term on-the-job training

Bachelor's Degree in Engineering

  • Could lead to the following professions: Environmental Engineer, Agricultural Engineer, Chemical Engineer, Civil Engineer
  • No license required, but earning a Professional Engineering, or PE, license can allow for higher levels of leadership and independence
  • Faster than average projected job growth, as their services will be in demand in various areas, such as rebuilding of infrastructure, renewable energy, oil and gas extraction and robotics

Associate Degree in Paralegal Studies

  • Could lead to the following professions: Paralegal, Lawyer, Judge
  • Advancement requires attainment of bachelor's or Juris Doctor, J.D., degree, licensing and on-the-job training

Child Care Certificate

  • Could lead to the following professions: Child Care Worker, Home Care Provider
  • No license required, but many workers take college courses in child development, health nutrition, music, art, drama and storytelling to make it easier to find a job
  • Short-term on-the-job training

Many occupations popular among military spouses require a state license, often with state-specific conditions and processes, which can cause lengthy delays in the certification process. To help alleviate this, many states have enacted legislation and best practices to remove licensure impediments for military spouses. Visit the Department of Labor Military Spouse License Recognition Map for up-to-date legislation and licensure information for your specific state.

If you move due to a PCS, you can receive up to $1,000 in reimbursement for costs associated with exams or registration fees to keep working in your new state. Each service has its own procedures for reimbursement, so be sure you know what your branch requires. Learn more.

You can also visit MilitaryINSTALLATIONS for local information on selecting a highly portable degree. Select 'Spouse Education, Training and Careers' under the 'Select a program or service’ drop-down menu and your installation or postal code to find a point of contact. You can also visit CareerOneStop to explore careers and view education and training requirements. If you need additional information regarding selecting a portable degree, you can visit the Choosing a Program section of the Education, Training and Licensing lifecycle stage of MySECO. Speak with a SECO career coach by calling at 800-342-9647 or use the Live Chat feature on MySECO for additional guidance.

Like this article? Share it!
User Ratings
Log in to rate.