You may want to test the water before jumping into a full-time, permanent position, particularly if you have recently moved or are re-entering the workforce and don't have a network available to advise you about local companies and job opportunities. By working a temporary job and investigating your options, you may have a better chance of finding a job and a company you love.
Research the organization
Explore opportunities with a variety of organizations by working as a temporary employee. When you find a position at a "great-fit" company, improve your chances of landing a permanent position by taking the following steps to increase your value to the organization.
- Familiarize yourself with company products and services.
- Understand the organization's value to its customers.
- Learn how the company compares to the competition.
- Determine management goals and priorities.
- Understand the company's organizational culture.
Key next steps
Impress your potential employer with your work ethic and show your abilities and talents without stepping on toes. A few steps to consider might include:
- Showing initiative in every task you are given
- Being a team player
- Dressing for success for your current role and the role you hope to gain
- Connecting with your co-workers and building comfortable work relationships
Most staffing companies want to keep customers happy and build long-term and prosperous arrangements. Staffing companies have different policies about temporary-to-permanent hires, but they are typically negotiable if the customer is interested in hiring an employee permanently. Be on top of the situation and find advocates among the staffing company team, your fellow employees and organization management by considering the following ideas.
- Express your wishes to your staffing company for turning your temporary role into a permanent position.
- Mention your interest to fellow employees, and if appropriate, ask them to put in a good word about you and your work.
- Talk to management and ask them to consider you if a permanent position is available.
Pursue temporary-to-permanent positions through MSEP employers
A number of temporary and staffing agencies are MSEP employers. Investigate the opportunities available with these organizations in your location.
- Robert Half Inc. specializes in temporary staffing for accounting, finance and bookkeeping professionals.
- Adecco USA provides temporary and direct hire positions with small companies and large corporations through offices around the country and the world.
- Apex Systems, Inc. offers information technology staffing and services in 53 markets nationwide.
- Kelly Services Inc. provides a wide variety of assignments and opportunities to learn and grow in a range of industries.
- ManpowerGroup is a worldwide provider of staffing services to over 400,000 clients.
Visit the Military Spouse Employment Partnership Job Search and search for positions in your area with these and other MSEP companies that are temporary and contract placement agencies. Expand your connections by finding a mentor through the Military Spouse eMentor program. Talk with a SECO career coach at 800-342-9647 or use the Live Chat feature on MySECO for additional feedback or assistance in turning your temporary job into a permanent one.