grayscale seco swirl

Social Workers

If you enjoy working with people in need and assisting them in finding solutions to their life challenges, then a career as a social worker may be the right choice for you.

Discovering your passion

As a part of the military community, you are well aware of the unique challenges military families face on a daily basis. A career as a social worker will allow you to use this personal understanding to relate to those you are assisting. Having a natural compassion toward others and a drive to assist them in finding the solutions to some of life’s challenges are qualities that may make a career as a social worker successful and rewarding. If you are considering a career as a social worker, review the Research Occupations tool on MySECO. Take self-assessments to make sure your skills and interests align with this career path.

Education and training

Once you have made the decision to pursue a career as a social worker, you can explore the many tools and resources on MySECO to assist you in achieving the education requirements necessary to practice in your profession. Most accredited social worker programs are four years in length and take a major commitment to complete. If your goal is to practice as a clinical social worker, then you can expect to spend an additional two years working to obtain a master’s degree in social work.

College Scorecard is a great starting point for researching and selecting an education institution. When you visit College Scorecard, search by program/degree, location, size and more to find a program of study near you. You can also use the Scholarship Finder to assist with finding funding relevant to the military community to help pay for classes.

Depending on your specific field of practice, you will also be required to have specialty certifications and licenses. In all states, social workers must have some form of licensure or certification. Because licensure requirements vary by state, you will need to contact your state board to find your specific requirements. Visit the Association of Social Work Boards for information about regulatory licensure board by state. You can also view the Spouse Licensure Map for state legislation and licensure information for military spouses in your specific state.

Finding employment

Once you are confident that you have the necessary education and licensure requirements, it’s time to find a job in your occupation. One of the first places to look is the Military Spouse Employment Partnership Job Search. Hundreds of partner employers have made the commitment to recruit, hire, promote and retain military spouses in portable careers. A recent search of the Military Spouse Employment Partnership Job Search using the keywords 'Social Worker' provided job listings throughout the United States with the following companies:

You can also search for social worker positions using the MySECO Job Search Tools, which include the following:

Professional organizations and networking

You may wish to consider joining a professional organization in your career field to gain a better understanding of current industry trends in social work. Professional organizations are great ways to continue your education through workshops and conferences, which will add to your transferable skill set as you move. Networking with other professionals in your industry will give you an edge in meeting the right people who may have the connections you need to obtain an interview or restart your career at your new location. They may provide important information about the social work field, such as new technology, continuing education and practicing self-care while helping others. Read The Value of Professional Associations for more information on how becoming a member can help enhance your career.

Next steps

To explore additional information related to starting your career as a social worker, check out the Research Occupations tool on MySECO. Enter the keywords 'Social Workers' to learn more about the occupational overview for your specialty field. If you need additional information on obtaining the proper license or certification as a part of your specialty field, review the Advantages of Licensure article in the Licensures and Certifications section of the Education, Training and Licensing lifecycle stage of MySECO. You can also speak with a career coach at 800-342-9647 to discuss any questions or concerns you may have. Coaches are available to review your resume, practice interviewing, discuss networking or assist you in understanding employer requirements for this field.

Like this article? Share it!
User Ratings
Log in to rate.