The National Military Family Association strives to offer resources to military families to improve their quality of life, such as scholarships for spouses and a free camp for kids. The NMFA, founded in 1969 by a group of military spouses, has grown rapidly since then. The majority of NMFA's current members are military spouses and former service members, so they are intimately familiar with the kinds of challenges you may be facing.
The National Military Family Association offers a variety of services you may be interested in, such as the following:
- Scholarships provided by NMFA are geared specifically toward military spouses and range from $500 to $2,500. All you need is a valid military ID to be eligible. In addition, NMFA partners with select schools to offer additional scholarships and licensing or certification funding.
- Volunteer opportunities available through NMFA may prove to be valuable for military spouses and families. Volunteer jobs can be excellent networking and training opportunities and look great on a resume. Build your experience by volunteering.
- Operation Purple is an NMFA program that brings military families together with the following resources.
- Operation Purple Camp — A free week of camp for military kids and their parents to get out, have fun and socialize
- Operation Purple Family Retreats — Outdoor retreats for families to reconnect after a deployment, separation or during a time of transition
- Operation Purple Healing Adventures — An outdoor experience for military service members and their families to rediscover family fun and togetherness after an injury
- Other resources offered by NMFA provide detailed information on many topics military families may be interested in, such as adoption benefits and challenges, how to prepare for a deployment, health care options, maintaining your marriage, dealing with an injury and more.
The National Military Family Association is a member of the Spouse Ambassador Network, a group of organizations united to help military spouses achieve their education and career goals. Click here for a full list of Spouse Ambassador Network participating organizations.