The USO is a nonprofit organization that has supported U.S. service members and their families for over 78 years. There are more than 200 USO centers located on or near military installations across the United States and around the world. The global reach of the USO includes a diverse set of locations, all designed and established to meet the needs of their specific military community.
Each location falls into a category, though no two locations are the same. These categories are installation and community, airports, Military Entrance Processing Stations, mobile, expeditionary support and transition. USO locations provide an inviting and comforting place where service members and their families can connect via internet or telephone. It’s also a great place to play a video game, catch a movie, have a snack or just relax.
The programs and services of the USO keep military members connected with their families, home and country through the challenges of military life: deployment, transition, illness, injury or wounded or fallen.
Some of the unique programs the USO provides for military family members include:
- Special Delivery Showers – Baby showers created for military spouse and active-duty moms-to-be
- Comfort Crew for Military Kids – Support and education for military kids and their classmates delivered through developmentally appropriate presentations offered at schools
- Stronger Families – Seminars to help military couples improve communication, resolve conflicts, rekindle romance and strengthen relationships
- Operation That’s My Dress – Events for military teens, female service members and spouses to receive style advice and choose fashionable new prom or cocktail dresses for formal events
- Military Spouse Networking – Events to connect military spouses to their social, professional and community network
The USO is a member of the Spouse Ambassador Network, a group of organizations united to help military spouses achieve their education and career goals.