Making sure you have the right wardrobe is an important part of preparing for interviews. What you wear during your interview can be just as important as what you say, so dress to make a positive first impression. Understanding corporate culture can help you decide on the most appropriate clothing for an interview, but it is generally better to be conservative and overdressed than flashy and underdressed. Other suggestions for making a good impression during your interview include the following:
- Dress in a comfortable, well-fitting outfit
- Wear neat, clean shoes and minimal, conservative jewelry
- Carry a nice briefcase or portfolio
- Remove any facial or body piercings and cover tattoos, if possible
- Keep makeup, perfume or cologne minimal and pay attention to nails and hair
Appropriate clothing choices for job interviews exist in a majority of industries. One rule of thumb is to dress for the level of position one higher than the one you are interviewing for, to show your potential employer you can represent them well in higher-level positions.
If you have additional questions on proper attire or need tips to help you succeed in your interview, the Interviewing Skills Module is a great source of information. You can also address your questions to a career coach at 800-342-9647.